Upstream Saigon to Siem Reap by RV Mekong Prestige Cruise (8 Days / 7 Nights)
To complement your tours and shore excursions, take part in Cultural Highlights-immersive learning and enhancement activities both on board and ashore:
– Visit the renowned Tonle Sap Lake
– Tour the magnificent ruins of Angkor
– Enjoy traditional Apsara temple dancing and other folkloric performances
– Visit colorful floating markets on the banks of the Mekong
– View onboard film screenings that will enhance your journey These in-depth experiences are included as an essential part of discovering more about the places through which you cruise, and each activity is planned specifically to illuminate each itinerary.
Sometimes you want to dig a little deeper. We offer a series of on board multimedia talks to shed light on the history and culture of the places you visit.
– The rise and fall of the Khmer empire
– The archeological excavations at Angkor
– History of Vietnam and Cambodia
– History and culture of the Champa people and other ethnic groups
– Key words and phrases in the local languages These presentations provide a context for your own observations, enhancing your travel experience.
– Experience hidden peacful villages in remote rural area along The Mekong River
Day 1: Saigon – My Tho
Meeting at Sofitel Plaza hotel in Saigon at 9 am for the transfer arrangement to My Tho, located at 70 kilometers away. Arrival in My Tho and welcome on board of RV MEKONG PRESTIGE and settling into the cabins. Lunch on board. Start of sailing in the afternoon.Welcome Dinner an overnint on the RV Mekong Prestige
Day 2: Cai Be – Sa Dec
Arrival at Cai Be in the morning. After breakfast we take a morning junk trip around Cai Be along a floating market, go ashore to see the French Gothic Cathedral. Walking along the bank river and sightseeing of the rice paper manufacturer and coconut sweets. We cruise past Vinh Long Province to arrive at Sa Dec for an afternoon walk. French writer Marguerite Duras spent some of her childhood in Sa Dec, a sprawling busy town in the Mekong Delta. In Sa Dec, Director Jean-Jacques Annaud shot much of his film « The Lover ». Ancient riverboats load and unload at the wharves built almost to the shop doors. Both the school where Duras’ mother taught and the small house behind it where the family must have lived still stand. We see the house of the Chinese Lover of Marguerite. The house now is little museum of « The Lover » in Sadec. Night navigation through the Delta. Overnight in the RV Mekong Prestige
Day 3: Tan Chau – Border crossing
Arrival in the morning at Tan Chau, a remote small town on the main Mekong River. After breakfast, transfer to small boats to visit a fishing farm. We go ashore to visit mat’s making workshop, and take a short walk in the village to visit a silk weaving workshop. A rickshaw ride round this fascinating town takes you back to the pier for lunch. Cast off for the Cambodian border for the usual formalities. Evening cruise up the broad Mekong River to Phnom Penh. Overnight in the RV Mekong Prestige.
Day 4: Phnom Penh
Arrival in Phnom Penh in the morning. The capital city of Cambodia still retains its old French colonial architecture in riverside streets. Visit the Royal Palace, the Silver Pagoda. The National Museum is another highlight, with outstanding displays of Khmer crafts. Lunch on board. Afternoon excursion is arranged to the former High School « S21 », converted to a detention center under the Red Khmer’s rule between 1975 and 1979. Then stop at the former detention camp of Choeung Ek, better known under the name of « Killing Fields ». Dinner on board. Overnight in the RV Mekong Prestige
Day 5: Kok Chong – Phnom Penh
Early morning, sailing from Phnom Penh to Koh Chong. Stop at this silk weaving village for a morning walk at leisure. We cruise past the Mekong’s timeless villages and river life with extensive fishing activities. Lunch on board. Return to Phnom Penh and afternoon at leisure for a discovery of the city on your own. Overnight in the RV Mekong Prestige
Day 6: Oudong – Kampong Tralach
Morning journey upriver heading for Oudong. Lunch on board. Arrival at Oudong in the early afternoon, distant of 40 kilometers from Phnom Penh. Between 1618 and 1866, Oudong was the capital city of Cambodia. Erected at a hilltop, this place counts numerous Stupas dating of the last Khmer Kings. After the visit, departure in bus to Kampong Tralach. You will visit there the very charming Vihara of the Wat Kampong Leu Pagoda dating back from the last century and which has retained beautiful wall paintings. Return to the ship and Dinner on board. Overnight in the RV Mekong Prestige
Day 7: Kampong Chhnang
Morning sailing on the Tonle Sap River, which connects the Mekong River to the Tonle Lake. Arrival at Kampong Chhnang, located at approximately 90 km from Phnom Penh. This is a busy rural port town with bustling markets. Then, boarding on local boats to visit the authentic floating village. The whole village is floating. The life of the entire population is connected with the river and all people evolve in boats through the canal system which criss-cross this little town. Overnight in the RV Mekong Prestige
Day 8: Tonle Sap Lake – Siem Reap
Crossing of the lake early in the morning. The great lake dominates Cambodia and is over 150 km in length. Here bird life is profuse. Because the water levels of the lake and river vary a great deal according to the time of year and rainfall. Disembarkation after breakfast and transfer either to hotel in Siem Reap or to the airport.
In case of low waters, it may happen that navigation on the Tonle Sap Lake is impossible for the RV Mekong Prestige. If that occurs, a fast boat or a coach will assure the link with the other bank of the lake where the embarkation on the RV Mekong Prestige will take place. Furthermore, all the aforementioned cruising schedule and program timing are indicative and subject to modification.
– Transfer arrangement from Sofitel Plaza hotel in Saigon to the ship in My Tho on day 1 and from the ship to Siem Reap hotel or airport on day 8
– Full board in the selected category on the R/V Mekong Prestige
– All meals from Lunch on Day 1 until Breakfast on Day 8
– Drinks on board : Mineral Water, non alcoholic beverages, local beers (all day long) and local wine during the meals
– Tipping on board
– All excursions and entrance fees with English speaking guide as per descriptive programme
– Assistance of an English speaking Cruise Director
– Port taxes
– Overseas flights
– Beverages other than mentioned
– Ashore tipping
– Visa arrangements